হিন্দু কলেজ (পরবর্তীকালে প্রেসিডেন্সি কলেজ), c১৮৫১
This is a general view of the classical main façade of the Hindu College located on College Street, in the vicinity of Hare School, College Square, and the University of Calcutta. Hindu College, the school’s predecessor, was established in 1817 by Raja Rammohan Roy, David Hare, Radhakanta Deb and other educationists. In 1855, the pathsala part of Hindu College became Hindu School and the other part, mahapathshala, became Presidency College. As it was expanding in students and fields, in 1855 the Government renamed it the Presidency College and opened it to all students.
A hand-coloured print of the Hindu College, Calcutta, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in c.1851-52.

About these ads