View of Calcutta from Hooghly River by William Hodges. c1789
গঙ্গা-বক্ষ থেকে কলকাতার দৃশ্য c১৭৮৯
A view from the side of a wide river to Calcutta which is in the distance on the opposite bank. Several boats are on the river: one in background in full sail; two small barges in the foreground; one in the bottom left corner; and one nearer the centre. Several small thatched huts line the rounded river bank nearest the viewer, on the right, with tree branches overhanging them. A lone figure sits in front of the huts, near the water’s edge, next to a small vessel pulled up on the shore. The blue sky has one particularly dark cloud in the top right. Oil on canvas painting by William Hodges. c1789. Courtesy: Manchester City Galleries
ফোর্ট উইলিয়াম কেল্লার চৌরঙ্গি ফটক, গোবিন্দপুর, কলকাতা, c১৮৮০
The Fort William’s Chowringhee Gate faces Chowringhee. Earlier the gate was exclusively used for the elite and so was also called the Royal Gate. The old quarters on the top of the Chowringhee was renovated later. The General Officer Commanding (GOC), Headquarters, Bengal Area, stays here. The Flag Staff House was built in 1937-38 to replace the original structure. It affords a splendid panoramic view of Chowringhee and Maidan. Albumen photo by unknown photographer. c1880
পুরনো কোর্ট হাউস স্ট্রিটের দৃশ্য(ছবিতে উল্লিখিত কাউনসিল হাউস রোড সংকেতটি বিভ্রান্তিকর) , কলকাতা, c১৮৫০
The view was incorrectly captioned in the original as Council House Street instead of Old Court House Street as evident from the description. Old Court House Street connects Esplanade Row (East). It acquired its name from the old court house, that was located where St. John’s Church now stands. The northern part of the stretch is known as Dalhousie Square (East). It was constructed around 1781, when the finishing touches were put to the new Fort William. It is linked with the name of Col. Henry Watson, who brought about many improvements in Calcutta, including the laying out of surrounding Esplanade. The Red Road is an extension of this street. Council House Street connects the western part of Dalhousie Square with Esplanade Row. The view of the St. Andrews Kirk, and Great Eastern Hotel can be seen in the present location. Interestingly, the scene captured in the shot is found an exact match in ‘Old Court House Street‘ – a wood engraving by some unidentified artist. This image is a whole-plate albumen print from wet collodion glass negative of photograph taken by Frith Frith in 1850s.