Portuguese Church, Dharmatala Street, Calcutta, 1848

পর্তুগিজ গির্জা, ধর্মতলা স্ট্রিট, কলকাতা, ১৮৪৮
In 1690 Charnock founded Calcutta. Portuguese from Hugli settled here much before, as some new historical evidences suggest. It is a rare view of the Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart in Calcutta. This was originally a Roman Catholic Church for the Portuguese community in Calcutta. The Catholic Emancipation Act had been passed in 1829, and the church was built by Mrs Pascoa da Souza, a member of the prominent Portuguese family, the Barrettos, between in 1832 and 1834. It was erected behind Dharamtola Bazaar on Dhurrumtollah (Dharamtola) Street at the centre of British Calcutta.
This coloured lithograph, dated 1848, is taken from plate 7 of Sir Charles D’Oyly’s ‘ Views of Calcutta and its environs’.