পবিত্র নাজারেথের আর্মানী গির্জা, বড়বাজার, কলকাতা, ১৭২৪
The first Armenian Church, a wooden structure was built by public contribution on 22nd June 1688 and was named St. John. The East India Company for 7 years contributed £40/- per year towards the maintenance of a priest. This Church was destroyed by fire in 1707. St. John’s Church having been razed to the ground, The Holy Church of Nazareth was built seventeen years later in 1724 on the old burial ground of the Armenian community, by Agha Nazar. The architect was an Armenian from Iran named Mr. Levon Ghevond. The belfry and steeple were added just 10 years later by Mr. Manual Hazarmalian in 1734. The interiors of the oldest extant church in Calcutta are decorated with marble, and the overhead gallery contains mural tablets. The altar has a cross, the gospels and 12 candlesticks symbolizing Christ and his Apostles. There is a staircase leading to an overhead gallery with walls full of mural tablets. Three oil paintings, including one of the Last Supper, share space with the murals. To the first Armenians who settled in India, who were mostly traders, continuation of tradition and preservation of religion were of the utmost importance. The Holy Nazareth structure is one of three Armenian churches in the city; the other two are the Church of Saint Gregory the Illuminator in Park Circus, and the Holy Trinity Armenian Church in Tangra.
পর্তুগিজ গির্জা, ধর্মতলা স্ট্রিট, কলকাতা, ১৮৪৮
In 1690 Charnock founded Calcutta. Portuguese from Hugli settled here much before, as some new historical evidences suggest. It is a rare view of the Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart in Calcutta. This was originally a Roman Catholic Church for the Portuguese community in Calcutta. The Catholic Emancipation Act had been passed in 1829, and the church was built by Mrs Pascoa da Souza, a member of the prominent Portuguese family, the Barrettos, between in 1832 and 1834. It was erected behind Dharamtola Bazaar on Dhurrumtollah (Dharamtola) Street at the centre of British Calcutta. This coloured lithograph, dated 1848, is taken from plate 7 of Sir Charles D’Oyly’s ‘ Views of Calcutta and its environs’.
পর্তুগিজ গির্জা, মুরগীহাটা, কলকাতা, ১৮২৬
In 1690 Charnock founded Calcutta. Portuguese from Hugli settled here much before, as some new historical evidences suggest. They built a chapel and were attended by Augustinian priests. The chapel was replaced by the beautiful church dedicated to Our Blessed Lady of the Rosary, which is used today as the cathedral, commonly known as the Portuguese Church, and the street on which the Church is situated was named Portuguese Church Street until recently, in the area of Murgihata adjacent to Lalbazar. The main Church of the Padroado in Kolkata till 1834, when it became the first parish Church of the newly erected Vicariate Apostolic of Bengal, the Salesians, who took over charge from the Jesuits in 1921, handed it over to the Diocesan Clergy in 1972. The Cathedral Annexe was built in 1979. Coloured aquatint by James Baillie Fraser, Plate No.17 from ‘Views of Calcutta and its Environs’. It may be noted that the location as indicated on the Plate, is not Lollbazaar (Lalbazar) but Mughihatta (Murgihata).
সেন্ট অ্যান্ড্রুজ গির্জা ও রাইটার্স বিলডিং, [আনুমানিক ১৮৫০]
St Andrew’s Church is a colonial church located to the north-east of the Dalhousie Square. This Scottish Kirk was built in Grecian style by Martin Burn in 1818. In the foreground is the site of the original Fort William. It was demolished after the British defeat by Siraj-ud-Daula in 1756 and the space filled by a large tank, which in Ward’s time, was Calcutta’s water supply. Perhaps at that time the area called Lal Dighi acquired a new name ‘Tank Square’, and afterwards, Dalhousie Square after the name of Lord Dalhuise, the Governor General of India (1847-1856). Date and photographer unidentified.