Hooghly Mohsin College, Chinsurah, 1836

019PHO0000247S1U00049000[SVC2]
হুগলি মহসিন কলেজ, চুঁচুরা, ১৮৩৬
The Hooghly college at Chinsura, on the banks of the Hooghly river, was founded by philanthropist Hazi Muhammad Mohsin on 1 August 1836, under administration of a private trust. It was housed in a Palladian mansion built by General Perron, the French General who became the commander-in-chief of the Scindia army and surrendered to Lord Lake in 1803 in the Anglo-Maratha war.

Hooghly Mohsin College is one of the oldest heritage and prestigious institution of liberal arts and sciences college in Bengal, situated on the banks of Hooghly River in Chinsurah. The college was affiliated to the University of Calcutta. This glorious House of Learning nurtured some of the doyens of nineteenth century Indian Renaissance, including Sanjib Chandra Chattopadhyay, Bankim Chandra Chattopadhyay, Dwijendralal Roy, Rangalal Bandyopadhyay.
This view of the College at Hooghly with the steps to the ghat (landing-stage) in the foreground was from a hand-coloured print of Hooghly College, from the Fiebig Collection: Views of Calcutta and Surrounding Districts, taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851.

 

Auckland Hotel, Old Court House Street, Calcutta, c1840

অকল্যান্ড হোটেল, ওলড কোর্টহাউস স্ট্রিট, কলকাতা, c১৮৪০
Auckland hotel was established in 1840 or 1841 by David Wilson as the Auckland Hotel, named after George Eden, 1st Earl of Auckland, then Governor General of India. Prior to opening the hotel, Wilson ran a bakery at the same site. It was established as a rival to Spence’s hotel, which was the first hotel in Calcutta. The hotel was has had many illustrious guests including Mark Twain. This is a hand-coloured print of a view looking north along Old Court House Street towards the Auckland Hotel. The premises of Winser & Co and Lattey Bros are in the foreground.
Photograph was taken by Frederick Fiebig in 1851.