Panoramic View Of Government House and Missionary Buildings, Calcutta, 1860

অক্টারলনি মিনার থেকে উত্তরে লাট ভবনের দৃশ্য, ১৮৬০
The Government House, in the centre of the print, had been the official residence of the Governor-General since it was commissioned by Marquess Wellesley in 1798. It was made of brick covered in gleaming white plaster, and was a showpiece building for the showpiece capital of the British in India. The architect Captain Charles Wyatt (1759-1818) was an officer in the Bengal Engineers. He based his design on James Paine’s and Robert Adam’s plans for Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire, which, with its central block and four detached wings linked to the centre by curving corridors, allowed good circulation of air. Four ceremonial gateways were included, two of which crossed Esplanade Row. Their design was based on Adam’s archways at Syon House in Middlesex.
This is part of the panoramic views of Calcutta from the Ochterlony Monument, taken by Samuel Bourne in the 1860s.

Summer House of the Governor General, Barrackpore, 1807

 

seatOfGocGen-barrackpore
লাটবাড়ি, ব্যারাকপুর
The Seat of the Governor General 16 miles from Calcutta from Nature. November 1807′
Description: Watercolour, by Charles Ramus Forrest (d. 1827), of Barrackpore House and Park in Barakpur near Calcutta. Barakpur was originally a permanent barracks, but when Marquis Wellesley took over the Commander-in-Chief’s residence, in 1801, he decided to make improvements to the area. He commenced the building of a summer residence for future Governors-General, which consisted of only the first storey when he was recalled to England. Wellesley also landscaped the gardens in the ‘English Style’ and added an aviary, a menagerie and a theatre. Barrackpore Park later became a popular place for leisure pursuits. The first storey of Wellesley’s proposed grand building was first added to by Sir George Barlow, acting Governor-General from 1805-1807, who converted each corner of the verandah into a small room. This view shows the building after these additions. Later in 1814-15 the building was greatly extended by the Marquis of Hastings who added a new storey.
Artist : Forrest, Charles Ramus
.