Tag Archives: orphan. school

Military Orphan (Lower) School, Howrah, Calcutta, 1782

অনাথ সৈনিক সন্তান আবাসন, হাওড়া, ১৭৮২
The picture shows the building where the Lower Military Orphanage was maintained by the East India Company for the orphans of regular soldiers. The Military Orphan School, which appears to have been the main institution for orphans in Bengal, was initially in Dakhineswar, later had moved to Howrah. This house, built by a Mr Levett in Howrah on the eastern bank of Hooghly River facing Calcutta, was originally meant for a distillery. In 1782 Captain William Kirkpatrick took over the house as an orphanage for the children of British soldiers of all ranks. Later in 1790 the children of officers were sent to a mansion in Kidderpore near Tolly’s Nullah, and the building pictured here became the Lower Military Orphanage and was maintained by the East India Company for the orphans of regular soldiers.
This is a hand-coloured etching with aquatint by William Baillie (1752/3-1799) – plate five of his ‘Twelve views of Calcutta’ published in 1794.

Military Orphan (Upper) School, Kidderpore, Calutta, 1790

Orphan School, Calcutta (Kolkata) - Albumen Silver Print c1850'sঅনাথ সৈনিক সন্তান আবাসন, খিদিরপুর, কলকাতা, ১৭৯০
The Bengal Military Orphan Society was set up in 1782 to provide for orphans of the officers and soldiers of the Army of the East India Company from all over Bengal. However it had additional aims, including the rescue of children from the vice and intemperance of the barracks. All children, Eurasian or British, legitimate or illegitimate, orphaned or not, were required to be sent to the orphanage in Calcutta which enabled the military to remove an encumbrance to its discipline and movements. The officers ‘children were funded by contributions from army officers (this group also included Ordnance Conductors appointed before 1822). The East India Co paid for the soldiers’ children, and also for orphans who had fathers in the British Army who were admitted from the late 1810’s.
This is an albumen silver print of a photograph of the Orphan School’s building taken by Captain R. B. Hill in 1850s