Band Stand, Eaden Gardens, Calcutta, 1865

ঈডেন উদ্যানে ব্যান্ড স্ট্যান্ড, কলকাতা, ১৮৬৫
This Band Stand was one of the pretty spots in Eden Gardens, thronged by the evening strollers to listen band music. The garden, situated on the north-west corner of the Maidan in Calcutta, was named after Emily and Fanny Eden, the sisters of Lord Auckland (Governor-General of India from 1836-1842), who tended the garden when it formed part of the Governor’s Estate.
This photograph was taken by Oscar Mallitte in 1865 to form part of an album entitled ‘Photographs of India and Overland Route’

Government House – Gateway, Calcutta, 1865

লাট ভবনের সিংহদ্বার, কলকাতা, ১৮৬৫
This Government House was a palatial residence for the Governors-General of Calcutta, commissioned by Marquess Wellesley in 1798. Captain Charles Wyatt, the architect, based the building on designs for Kedleston Hall in Derbyshire, with specific changes to combat the heat of Calcutta by allowing greater movement of air through the building. There were also four ceremonial gateways, two of which crossed Esplanade Row; their design was based on Adam’s archways at Syon House in Middlesex. This is a part of an album entitled ‘Photographs of India and Overland Route’
The photograph was taken in 1865 by Oscar Mallitte