কেল্লার কাছে হুগলী নদীর জাহাজঘাট, c১৮৫০
Shipping in the Hooghly near Fort, Calcutta
Photogaphed by Capt. R. B. Hill in 1850s
কেল্লা থেকে নদীতীরে জাহাজ চলাচলের দৃশ্য, c১৮৫৮
In its upper reaches the river is generally known as the Bhāgirathi, until it reaches Hooghly. The river was an important transportation channel in the early history of Bengal, and later with the colonial trading ports. The river’s presence is one of the reasons chosen by the British to settle there at Calcutta. The Dutch/French colony at Chandannagar on the Hooghly was once the rival of British Calcutta, but was eclipsed by Calcutta in the colonial wars of the 18th century. The river banks hosted several battles and skirmishes towards the start of the colonial era, including the Battle of Plassey Palashi, as well as earlier wars against Maratha raiders
চাঁদপাল ঘাটে কলের জাহাজ তথা বাষ্পীয় পোত, c১৯২০
Steam Ship at Chandpal Ghat, c1920.
via Days of the Raj.
হুগলী নদীতে জাহাজ চলাচলের দৃশ্য, ১৮৯০
Square-rigged sailing ships moored in the Hooghly off the Maidan, Calcutta with the High Court visible in the distance to the north. The nearest vessel is the three-masted ship Glengarry of Liverpool; local craft can be seen in foreground. Calcutta is a city and port in eastern India. The port provided access from the sea to the hinterland of Bengal, India’s richest province. In little more than half a century the original trading port grew into a considerable city, clustered round the Company’s fort. The modern port was commissioned on 17 October 1870 under the Calcutta Port Act and went on to become the premier port in British India.Photograph from the Elgin Collection: ‘Spring Tours 1894-98’, taken by Bourne and Shepherd in the 1890s.