Saint Andrews Church, Dalhousie Square, Calcutta, 1840-1850s

সেন্ট অ্যান্ড্রুজ গির্জা ও রাইটার্স বিলডিং,  [আনুমানিক ১৮৫০]
St Andrew’s Church is a colonial church located to the north-east of the Dalhousie Square. This Scottish Kirk was built in Grecian style by Martin Burn in 1818. In the foreground is the site of the original Fort William. It was demolished after the British defeat by Siraj-ud-Daula in 1756 and the space filled by a large tank, which in Ward’s time, was Calcutta’s water supply. Perhaps at that time the area called Lal Dighi acquired a new name ‘Tank Square’, and afterwards, Dalhousie Square after the name of Lord Dalhuise, the Governor General of India (1847-1856).
Date and photographer unidentified.

Blog at WordPress.com.

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: