In February 1873, the Tramway Company introduced their trial service to run a 2.4-mile (3.9 km) horse-drawn tram car service between Sealdah and Armenian Ghat Street. After a short break the Company, registered as Calcutta Tramway Co. Ltd, laid anew Meter-gauge horse-drawn tram tracks from Sealdah to Armenian Ghat via Bowbazar Street, Dalhousie Square and Strand Road. The service discontinued in 1902.
The photograph featured above shows a cropped view of a horse-drawn tram car running on Old Court House Street, Calcutta. Photographers: Bourne and Shepherd, c.1880’s. See full view