বেঙ্গল টেলিফোন কোম্পানি, কাউন্সেল হাউস স্ট্রিট, কলকাতা, ১৮৮৩
In 1881 license was granted to the original Oriental Telephone Company Limited of England for opening Telephone Exchanges at five metropolitan cities of India. On 28th January, 1882 , Major E. Baring, Member of the Governor General’s Council declared open the Telephone Exchange in Calcutta, Madras and Bombay. The exchange at Calcutta named “Central Exchange” was opened at third floor of the building at 7, Council House Street. By June 1882 the Central Telephone Exchange had 93 numbers of subscribers. In the following year the Bengal Telephone Company, Ltd., was formed. The whole of the company’s plant has been selected with the greatest care, and there is nothing of a modern character in connection with cables, fittings, and other appliances which has not been secure. The service is metallic circuit underground, and the efficiency with which it has been laid is proved by the fact that the system is being largely extended in order to meet the ever-increasing demand by residents in suburban districts for telephonic connection with the city. The company was granted a new license for a period of sixty years by the Government of India on April i, 1903. In addition to the very large number of installations in private and public buildings which have been undertaken by the company, it may be added that they have also provided and maintain the police and fire alarm systems in and around Calcutta.
This magnificent building, established by Lord Curzon, the Governor General of the British India, was originally used as the office of the Imperial Department of Commerce and Industries in the undivided India. Its long circular pillars and triangular pediments with neo-classical features represents the authority of the British era. Courtesy Ps Mukherjee
কাউনসিল হাউস [পূর্বতন] , কলকাতা, ১৭৬৪
Adjoining Government House to the west stood the Council House. After the recovery of Calcutta there was no Council Room for a twelve month to carry out business of the settlement. The dwelling house of the late Richard Court was purchased for the Honble. Company in 1758 and appropriated to the above use. .. It was probably a house near the hospital, and remained in use till 1764, when the Council House on the Esplanade was built, and gave its name to the street. Contiguous to it a house for the Governor was built. These two buildings continued in use till 1799, when Marquis Wellesley built the present Government House, on the site they had occupied.
Aquatint, coloured painting by Thomas Daniell, Plate three from the second set of’ Oriental Scenery