Fort William Interor View, Gobindapur, Calcutta, c1828

fort William Interiof_1828ফোর্ট উইলিয়াম কেল্লার আভ্যন্তরীণ দৃশ্য, গোবিন্দপুর, কলকাতা, c১৮২৮
This is a view of the interior of Fort William Calcutta looking east across the courtyard towards Chowringhee Gate and Chowringhee Road The new Fort William was constructed as a result of the damaging attack on the original fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. It was situated to the south of the city in Gobindpore and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. The area surrounding the fort, known as the Maidan, was cleared to provide an unrestricted line of fire. This view looks east across the Maiden towards Chowringhee Gate and Chowringhee Road. The Neo-Gothic church of St. Peter, started in 1822 and consecrated in 1828, is on the left.
Watercolour painting by William Wood (1827-1833), c.1828. Courtesy British Library

Map of Fort William In Its Context, Gobindapur, Calcutta , 1844

Fort William 2 map

Fort William Govindpore Map

ফোর্ট উইলিয়াম মানচিত্র, গবিন্দপুর, কলকাতা, ১৮৪৪
Map of the New Fort William campus at Gobindapur, Calcutta. Designed by John Brohier, the fort was an irregular octagon with seven gates, surrounded by extensive defences.  Its construction was completed in 1781 at a cost of approximately two million pounds. Above each of the gates was a residence for commanding officers. The towers in the print are those of the fort church of Saint Peter. The construction of the fort altered the entire urban plan of Calcutta and the city flourished and grew under its protective ramparts. Large areas of the jungle were cleared to provide a clear line of fire, and the resulting flat spaces were eventually filled by buildings.
Prepared by the Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge, 1844

Fort William – Rampart Barracks, Calcutta, c1915

FortWilliam_Rampart_Barrack-c1915 ফোর্ট উইলিয়ম ব্যারাক বাড়ি, কলকাতা, c১৯১৫
Fort William was built by the British in 1758. It was begun by Lord Clive after the battle of Plassey in 1758. The cost to build the citadel of Fort William was two million sterling. A garrison of 15,000 men were needed for its defence. Fort William is one of the most impressive examples of European fortification in the East. Roughly octagonal in shape , with six principal gates, it was designed by Captain John Brohier in 1757. It took 13 years to complete at a staggering cost of over 2 million pounds. It replaced old Fort William, which lay slightly to the north. Modelled on Vauban’s 17th century defensive concepts, the work was finished by Archibald Campbell after Brohier was charged with fraud and absconded from custody. The construction of the Fort altered the whole plan of Calcutta and generated a wave of rebuilding. A huge open space, the maidan  was cleared to give an unrestricted field of fire. Excellent views of the outer ramparts and the fosse may be obtained from the Maidan, which, with its numerous tanks, offers a pleasant retreat with shaded walks and distant vistas of Government House and the Victorian Memorial. The barrack buildings are typical of the period; long, three – storey blocks, plainly detailed in a classical style and face in chunam.The interior is generally confined and hot, the guns being actually so hot (even in the what is called cold season) that one could scarcely bear to keep their hand upon them. Mosquitos are innumerable and are most annoying pests, besides Jackals too abound within the ramparts yelling and screeching of a night as to startle sleepers from their slumbers thinking as a newcomer would that some children were screaming. see more
Photographer unknown