ফোর্ট উইলিয়াম কেল্লার আভ্যন্তরীণ দৃশ্য, গোবিন্দপুর, কলকাতা, c১৮২৮
This is a view of the interior of Fort William Calcutta looking east across the courtyard towards Chowringhee Gate and Chowringhee Road The new Fort William was constructed as a result of the damaging attack on the original fort by the forces of Siraj-ud-Daulah the Nawab of Bengal in 1757. It was situated to the south of the city in Gobindpore and designed by John Brohier. The structure is polygonal in form and has extensive defences including bastions, earthworks and a moat. The area surrounding the fort, known as the Maidan, was cleared to provide an unrestricted line of fire. This view looks east across the Maiden towards Chowringhee Gate and Chowringhee Road. The Neo-Gothic church of St. Peter, started in 1822 and consecrated in 1828, is on the left.
Watercolour painting by William Wood (1827-1833), c.1828. Courtesy British Library
বেঙ্গল ক্লাব, এসপ্ল্যানেড রো, কলকাতা, ১৮৩৩
The Bengal Club was founded at Calcutta in 1827. At the time this image was produced the club was housed in Gordon’s Buildings in the middle of Esplanade Row. It moved to Tank Square around 1830 and subsequently purchased the house in Chowringhee Road formerly occupied by Thomas Babington Macaulay. The Bengal Club is still in existence at this site.
When the Bengal Club was first conceived in the winter of 1826-7, it was christened the Calcutta United Service Club, at a meeting held in the Calcutta Town Hall. It was presided over by Lt Col the Hon J. Finch, who was later to become the first President of the Club. The Club was housed in a building in Esplanade West, erected in 1813. Fund raising was through the then popular method of lottery.
This is a lithograph of William Wood, derives from plate 5 of his album ‘Views of Calcutta’, 1933
চৌরঙ্গী রোড – কলকাতার প্রধান সাহেব পাড়া, c১৮৩৩
Chowringhee Road was the principal route through the main European residential area of Calcutta. In the foreground, people tend their animals and relax in groups. These were years of enormous and largely uncoordinated growth in Calcutta, and the characteristic view of the city became one in which scenes of flourishing wealth were juxtaposed with ones of ramshackle poverty.
This lithograph is taken from plate 17 from ‘Views of Calcutta’ an album of paintings by William Wood.
জান বাজার স্ট্রীট, অধুনা কর্পরেসন স্ট্রীট, চৌরঙ্গী, c১৮৩৩
Jaun Bazaar Street (now Corporation Street) was the first sidestreet of Chowringhee Road in Calcutta. On the corner of Jaun Bazaar Street was a complex of buildings housing the Secret and Political Department, dealing with relations with the Indian and other foreign states in the region.
Residential areas like Chowringhee and the Esplanade acquired boundary walls, screens and gates to match the imposing new buildings, many of which were consciously based on classical styles – as if to bring the effects of Western civilisation into the alien Indian environment. The styles were adapted from their European models to provide greater shade and good circulation of air.
This lithograph is taken from plate 8 from ‘Views of Calcutta’ an album of paintings by William Wood.
চৌরঙ্গী রোডে সাহেবদের প্রাসাদোপম বাসগৃহ, ১৯৩৩
The proud mansions that made Chowringhee Road – a much-vaunted address for the European residents of Calcutta. One contemporary writer, William Henry Giles Kingston, described these houses in the fashionable suburb: “clusters of columns, long colonnades and lofty gateways have a very imposing effect, especially when mingled with forest trees and flowering shrubs.”
This lithograph is taken from plate 24 from ‘Views of Calcutta’ an album of paintings by William Wood.
এলিয়ট পুকুর, চৌরঙ্গী, কলকাতা, c১৮৩৩
Elliott’s Tank facing Harington Street and the Birjee Tank. Harington Street was formerly known as Graham Street
This lithograph is taken from plate 21 from ‘Views of Calcutta’ an album of paintings by William Wood.
মনোহর দাসের পুকুর, চৌরঙ্গী সীমান্ত, কলকাতা, ১৮৩৩
This lithograph derives from plate 10 from William Wood’s ‘Views of Calcutta’. This view is the only one of Wood’s series to show specifically Indian-style dwellings in Calcutta. They are near the first of the large ‘tanks’, or manmade reservoirs, on the edge of the Chowringhee district. The tanks were used as a general water-supply, for bathing and washing by the inhabitants of the city. A clear view of Manohur Doss’s Tank can be seen in in the Panoramic View Of Chowringhee Road Across Maidan
This lithograph is taken from plate 10 from ‘Views of Calcutta’ – an album of paintings by William Wood.
কলকাতা বিশপের বাসভবনের বারন্দা থেকে চৌরঙ্গির দৃশ্য, ১৮২৮
The Bishop’s Palace was situated at No.5 Russell Street from 1825 until 1849, in which time it housed four successive Bishops of Calcutta. The last of these, Bishop Wilson, built a new cathedral on the south-east corner of the Maidan and relocated the palace to a house opposite the cathedral. Marianne James, the artist of this work and wife of the third Bishop of Calcutta, wrote: ‘Our Palace … is a splendid house of 3 stories high with a delightful verandah to each storey entirely from one end of the house to the other on one side’.
Watercolour with pen and ink by Marianne Jane James (b. 1805).
থিয়েটার রোডের অধুনালুপ্ত রঙ্গালয়, ‘চৌরঙ্গি থিয়েটার’, ১৮৩৩
This image shows the imposing theatre on the corner of Theatre Street and Lower Chowringhee Road. The whole site between Chowringee Road and Elysiam Row (Now Lord Sinha Road) was occupied by the Chowringee Theatre. The adjacent house to the north was known as Ballards’ Place. The expenses of the construction and the cost of the materials for the stage were borne by a number of gentlemen subscribing amongst themselves the shares of Rs. 100 each. It was beautifully crowned with a dome. The Chowringhee Theatre (1813 to 1839) was the principal theatrical venue in the city. Some affluent British theatre-lovers along with a few Bengali elites founded Chowringhee Theatre. Accordingly, this also came to be known as the ‘Subscription Theatre’ Among the illustrious patrons who donated generously for this Theatre, the names of Mr. Hares Heman Wilson, D.L. Richardson, Dwarakanath Thakur etc. deserve mention. It was inaugurated on 25th November, 1813 and the maiden play held here was a remarkable tragedy named ‘Castle Spectre’. Several dramas were performed here in course of time. The actors in the initial days were amateurs. Later, some renowned professional actors joined this troupe breaking away from the big banners. But, the Theatre was staggering due to acute financial stringency. In 1835, Prince Dwarakanath Thakur purchased it and made some drastic renovations. Unfortunately, in 1839, this Theatre was completely incinerated. After that it was never revamped and play acting was never resumed here. – Interestingly, the female roles at the theatre were played by professional actresses but male roles were taken by amateurs, such as William Princep, whose memoirs describe his theatre work in detail, both as actor and set designer, and give us insights into the running of the building.
This lithograph of painting dated 1833 is taken from plate 22 from ‘Views of Calcutta’ an album of paintings by William Wood.
চৌরঙ্গি রোডে বারোয়ারি দিঘী, এবং ম্যাকলে সাহেবের বাড়ি, c১৮৩৩?
The General’s Tank was one of the three large artificial reservoirs in the Chowringhee district of Calcutta. It was just south of the junction with Park Street. This print also shows the house of Thomas Babington Macauley, who was a Law Member of the Supreme Council of India, and worked on the reorganisation of the Indian legal system necessitated by the New India Act of 1834. He lived at number 33, Chowringhee Road, from 1834 to 1838. Thereafter the building became the headquarters of the Bengal Club.
This lithograph derives from plate 16 from ‘Views of Calcutta’ –an album of paintings by William Wood.